When I got interested in solo role-playing I was looking for a list of solo engines and resources. Unfortunately, I found none.
That’s why I started this list at the G+ Lone Wolf community and completed it with the help of others.
If you know of a resource that is not listed yet, you can shoot me an email.
Please note that some links are affiliate links. A small portion of the sale goes to my account credit at OneBookshelf and allows me to buy new games. THANK YOU!
There is no drawback for you. If you still don’t want to support my blog, you can delete the last part of the link, “?affiliate_id=330920”. Just imagine my sad face…
- A Pseudo-Fey-ish Generator Table (FREE) a table for generating fey monsters
- Abulafia (random-generator.com) (FREE)
- Adventuresmith (FREE Android app) random generators
- Bad Situations (FREE) a genre creator
- Black Stream Solo Heroes (FREE) an overlay for fantasy OSR games so that you can play them with 1 player and 1 GM: not a strictly solo system but on the way there (predecessor of Scarlet Heroes)
- BOLD, Universal PC Stories and Deeds Generator (PWYW) setting and system agnostic generator
- Castle Gargantua another procedural dungeon generator
- Chaotic Shiny (FREE) lots of generators
- DM Muse (FREE) fantasy/dungeon-themed generator
- DonJon RPG Tools (FREE) an online source for random RPG stuff, mostly old school role-playing. FANTASTIC random solo dungeon generation!
- DunGen Pointcrawl Dungeon Generator by Ed Allen
- DunMap Dungeon Map Stocker v 0.5 by Ed Allen
- Entanglements (PWYW)a story mapping tool for RPGs, alternative download
- FREE adventures for Adventurer Solo Game (see above) by Stuart Llyod, scroll down to "Adventurer"
- Guide to Playing Alone an introduction to solo role-playing
- Hexmancer (FREE) procedural hex generator by Martin Ralya
- Hiring Hall retainers and hirelings for old school dungeon crawling, a generator by Ed Allen
- http://www.roll3d6.com/ random generators
- Instant Game (FREE) a great setting creator, plus a solo game included
- It's Not My Future! inspired by Evil Hat's It's Not My Fault! cards for generating NPCs and a revolting scene (for Fate Accelerated)
- Mad Monks of Kwantoom the successor of Ruins of the Undercity: a random old school dungeon generator with an Asian flair: city encounters, shops, and atmosphere
- Mark’s Adventure Glyphs (Android) an image app similar to Rory’s Story Cubes, uses the same Game Icon library as Zero Dice, same image source but different mechanics
- Mekton Zeta – Lifepath Generator (FREE) a tool for making random character back stories by Todd Zircher
- Perilous Wilds generators (FREE)
- Prompting Oracle (of sorts?) (FREE) web tool
- ranDM Solo by Mike Overbo (FREE) combo offline webapp random table, mythic, crge, and crge-kai system
- Rory’s Story Cubes dice with images on it for inspiration, available at game stores or online retailers like Amazon.com, mobile apps are available for iphone/ipad or Android
- rpgsolo.com (FREE) Mark has created an online tool that integrates several other solo tools as well as creating his own die roller and solo game features, there was some flak because he didn’t properly credit the original authors at first
- Ruins of the Undercity a random dungeon generator for old school gaming, reviews here, a print version is available at lulu
- Schweig’s Themed Dungeon Creator a template which you stock yourself and in turn gives you a tool for creating a random dungeon
- Simple HTML Roller (FREE) by Konrad Zielinski
- Solo Roleplay Tools (FREE) a Google Docs addon for Mythic GME
- Solo RPGs forum (free, of course) The G+ Lone Wolf community forum
- Springhole.net (FREE) generators for writing and role-playing
- Stellar Heroes (FREE) an overlay for sci-fi OSR games so that you can play them with 1 player and 1 GM: not a strictly solo system but on the way there
- SWN Sector Generator (FREE) random generator for Stars Without Numbers
- The Location Crafter from the folks who did the Mythic GME, a universal location creator, softcover available via lulu
- UNE, Universal NPC Emulator (rev) (PWYW) a great way to create NPCs by Zach Best
- Wizardawn (FREE) lots of random creators for old school role-playing games
- Zero Dice (FREE) an online tool for rolling image dice like Rory’s but with additional support for forum play, by Todd Zircher
- Zero Tarot web tool for Tarot cards as NPC or scene generators